HOME BRANCH (PRISON)
To ensure smooth functioning of the Prison Department and management of matter relating to prisoners’ problem.
Functions of Home Branch (Prison) :
- Requisitioning of Asstt. Jailor post to NPSC for recruitment in the executive cadre.
- Forwarding of proposal to Home Commissioner for promotion, transfer and posting of Gazetted Officers.
- Promotion, Transfer and posting of Gr. III and Gr. IV Staff.
- To appoint Gr. IV staff as and when vacancies arises.
- To take disciplinary action against erring employees.
- Court cases pertaining to writ petition in the department.
- Construction matters.
- Creation of post.
- GPF, MR and MA.
- Expenditure, sanction of the department.
Directorate of Prison, Government of Nagaland does not have separate Jail Manual. Therefore, Nagaland Jails follows the analogy of Assam Jail Manual basing on the legal powers and responsibilities as empowered to Prison Act. The various norms to discharge various functions at different levels are spelt out in detail by the Assam Jail Manual for various ranks from Warder to DGP which is followed by the department. Besides these, norms for discharge for functions, responsibilities and powers are governed by various government rules and regulations, notifications, Act etc while discharging official and lawful functions, officers should ensure that their decisions and actions are not in contravention to the government servant conduct rules and legal functions.