The Nagaland State Disaster Management Authority (NSDMA) was established during 2010 with a small nucleus of Officers and Staff and placed under the control of Home Department, with Home Commissioner as the Administrative Head.
Functions of NSDMA :
Nagaland State Disaster Management Authority (NSDMA) functions under the Chairmanship of Hon’ble Chief Minister along with some council of Ministers. The State Authority is responsible for laying down policies and plans for disaster management in the State. Under NSDMA, there is a State Executive Committee (SEC) headed by Chief Secretary along with the Administrative Head of Departments. The duty of SEC has the responsibility of implementing the National Plan and State Plan and act as the coordinating and monitoring body for management of disasters in the State.
At District level, there is a District Disaster Management Authority (DDMA) headed by concerned Deputy Commissioners in carrying out all the activities related to Disaster Management. Also, at the Village level, the Council Chairman heads the Village Disaster Management Authority (VDMA) along with the members of Village Council and Village Development Board. VDMA acts as a decision making body while Village Disaster Management Core Committee (VDMCC) acts as an Executive body in carrying out Disaster Management activities.
Some of the main activities carried out by Nagaland State Disaster Management Authority (NSDMA) are as given below:
- Information and Media: Awareness in the form of orientation, IEC materials, Billboards, Pamphlets, competition are carried out as a sensitization activities. Other awareness activities are alert and warning massages, do’s and don’ts on various disaster related issues and press media.
- Training and Capacity Building: At training front, NSDMA sent Officers from Nagaland to attend various trainings abroad and at National level. It mainly focuses on grooming the officers as resource person or master trainer for the State. Different trainings at State level, District level, Village level and Community level have been also undertaking in collaboration with skilled department. The main training institute in Nagaland for Disaster Management has been identified as Administrative Training Institute (Kohima) and Central Training Institute (Toluvi, Dimapur).
- Response Mechanism: The State has already trained around 2000 uniform personnel as State Disaster Response Force from the IRBs, NAPs, Village Guards and Home Guards & Civil Defense. Also around 1200 Community First Responders have been trained for response force. NSDMA have also established State Emergency Operation Centre and District Emergency Operation Centre at Mokokchung, Dimapur, Peren and Mon as a control room. It functions 24/7 even in times of normal days, during disaster and after disaster.
- .Relief Measures: Relief to the affected victims by natural disaster is being rendered assistance under State Disaster Response Fund as per the Norms of Assistance. The District Disaster Management Authorities are also given Emergency Fund to render immediate assistance to the affected person/families during significant disaster.
- Engineering Wing: In times of infrastructural damages by natural disaster, restorative works are carried out with the aid of Central Ministry. Retrofitting works are also done with the assistance of Central Funding.
- Geological matter: To understand and take precautionary measures from any possible threat, Hazard Risk Vulnerable Assessment is being undertaken. Landslide survey is also in process to ascertain the spatial distribution over the State and to suggest favorable preventive measures.
- Plan & Policy: All plans and policies lay down by the Government of India and Government of Nagaland are being processed and implemented. Rules and guidelines are also developed on the basis of Central Ministry and Nagaland State Disaster Management Authority guidance.